Welcome to the Wuthering Heights read-a-long! We’re reading this book through September and October. You can see the reading schedule and guidelines on the Starting Post Page.
Week Seven: Read to Chapter XXX
Did any of you read Thumbelina when you were a child? The part where the mouse tries to get her to marry his cousin, the mole, always really creeped me out. I hated that part of the book – I always wanted to skip it. I’d always think, “Just let her go!” I’d feel suffocated and disgusted. As I was reading this week’s portion and got to the part where Heathcliff was making Catherine marry his sniveling, weak, disgusting (because this is now how I feel about Linton) son, I could not help but think of Thumbelina and Mr. Mole.
Least favorite character of the book so far: Linton. CREEEEEEPY, decrepit little dude.
There’s something wrong with Catherine as well, as she so easily bends to his will each time, but she has to or the plot would come to a standstill. Heathcliff is evil, but interesting. It astonishes me that he can be so full of malice but so intensely in love with Catherine Earnshaw. What a soulful scene when he describes digging her up and being haunted by her! There is something selfish in his love, so I know it isn’t pure – but man, it’s crazy passionate.
I’ll jump in more below – what did you all think this week? Can you believe we will be done next week?! I’m eager to see how it will end, because it is starting to veer away from the movie version I saw, and I’ve heard it ends differently as well. I LOVE IT.
Who’s Reading Along:
** Please don’t forget to come to this blog each Friday and share your thoughts in the comments section of the weekly Wuthering Heights discussion (see below for more information).**
Patty @ A tale of three cities
Meg @ A Bookish Affair
Ian Cann (@thebeercolonel)
- If you are participating and I don’t have you on this list, please let me know in the comments section. I did not include people who said ‘maybe’ so if you have changed your mind and are definitely reading along with us, let me know so I can add you. Also, if you are not going to be able to join us anymore please let me know and I will take you off the list.
- Comments from the previous week’s reading will be closing Thursday afternoon (before the next discussion takes place on Friday). If you would like to be part of the discussion, please remember to comment before then.
- Each week, on Friday, share your thoughts about the previous week’s reading. If you are stuck on what to comment about, you can respond to my post or others’ comments. Regardless, you MUST check in each week (two weeks without a response and you will be taken off of the list — see below for details on why). You may have only one “off week” (which may not be the last week of reading for obvious reasons) and still be kept on the list, but you must let me know in the comment section by saying something like, “I’m catching up,” or “I’m still reading.” ***for all week’s discussions please refrain from posting ahead, even if you have read ahead, as to not spoil the book for others***
- If you are a blogger you may post a link to your blog if you are posting about each of the each week’s reading. If I, or other readers, have extra time we will gladly try to visit your blog; however, you must make sure to share your thoughts here on this blog, and be part of the main conversation or your comment will not be counted.
- If you go for two weeks without commenting in my weekly update comments section, I will assume you are no longer participating and will take you off of the list (*NEW GUIDELINE*, in order to get back onthe list, you need to a.) Have missed no more than two weeks of discussion, b.) Let me know you would like to be on the list again, and c.) consistently be part of the discussion for the next two weeks after requesting to be put back on the list.). This is in no way to be discouraging, but helps to keep the read-a-long organized (and helps me remember who’s completed what read-a-long…there (ahem) might be something fun for different levels of participants at the end of the year! Thanks!